Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Jan25: Opposite Day

Summary: Opposite Day is a topsy, turvy day when everything you say, do, see, and hear are the opposite. If you say go left, you mean go right. If you say look up, it means look down. If you see your left foot...is it really your right? 


Yesiree, Bob. Opposite Day can be a whole lot of fun. It can also be very, very confusing. This special day is celebrated primarily among school children. Sponge Bob Square Pants even got into the act, with an episode containing the whimsical nature of this day.

Synopsis: A couple of prelim thoughts on Opposite Day....
  1. I remember LOVING Opposite Day as a child (and celebrating it on any day I chose) 
  2. As an adult, I found it very hard to implement. It's amazing how other adults don't fall into a fit of giggles when you qualify a statement with "It's Opposite Day" like kids do.
  3. I went back and forth on thinking I would love to revert to every day being capable of being Opposite Day and being ready for the day to be over..... because.....
I explained the concept of Opposite Day to the husband last night. He plead ignorant on the whole topic (either he wasn't a ridiculously annoying child like I was, or he just did it in more obvious ways). However, he quickly picked up on it. Like, I refused to get his slippers for him and he said, "you're a bad wife." *insert death look from me here* "It's OPPOSITE DAY." This went on for much of the day. I will say that he participated much more enthusiastically than I did.

In fact, he just popped in here with a bratty comment, followed-up with "it's Opposite Day." I replied with, "nope. Opposite Day ended 32 minutes ago. It's now Spouse's Day. Get on better behavior pronto!"

1 comment: