Thursday, January 20, 2011

Jan20: Penguin Awareness Day

Summary: Penguin Awareness Day, and World Penguin Day (April 25) are great opportunities to learn about and appreciate one of the few natives of Antarctica. On these days, spend a little time learning about them.... a pictorial book or internet site is fun. You can also watch a documentary of these cute and popular, grounded birds. These days are also a time to wear black and white---penguin colors. However, wearing a tuxedo in their honor is optional. It is also popular today to tell a penguin joke or two.

Synopsis: I have been looking forward to this day, since ABBA and I first spotted it a few weeks ago. When we first learned of it, we were very confused on why we would need to become more aware of penguins. Where they surrounding me, and I had just never been open to observing it? I will admit that ever since the day was presented to me, I started noticing a lot of penguins. I found them in cards, on shirts, under my chair (ok, that's an exaggeration).

Sadly, up until about 8:30pm today I had not had a single penguin encounter. Then, my trusty MIL sent out an email.....
Subject: FW: KING PENGUIN - MUST SEE TO BELIEVE!
________________________________________
King Penguin

This 10-year-old King Penguin was rescued from a fisherman's line and refused to leave after he was healed. He was adopted by a family in a small town in Japan and became a beloved pet who has his own personal air-conditioned cold room. Lala is so smart - he walks to the fish store with his little backpack to shop for fresh fish every day. You are gonna love this little video!

http://www.flixxy.com/pet-penguin-goes-shopping.htm

2 comments:

  1. He could not be any cuter!! Loved it. Penguins are so darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We actually did celebrate this!Go see my blog

    ReplyDelete