Monday, January 10, 2011

Jan10: Peculiar People Day

Summary: Peculiar People Day is in honor of uniquely different people. Un-ordinary, extraordinary, unusual, strange, odd, uncommon, intriguing, different, abnormal, and quirky.... These are all things that we think of to describe the word "peculiar". Most of these characteristics can be viewed as good, or not so good. Today is a day to look for the good in your peculiar acquaintances.

If you are peculiar, this is your day to be honored and appreciated. Chances are, you will find something peculiar about yourself, if you look hard enough. If you can't find anything peculiar about yourself, then give some recognition and appreciation to your quirky friends and family.

Synopsis: I found this day to be more challenging than I thought it would be. I think because I knew I would be doing a post dedicated to the topic, I had a really high bar for finding peculiar. I looked at work, I looked online, I looked at a bar. Did not find anyone that really was over the top. And then.... I started thinking about myself and my own peculiarities. The King definitely has determined that I'm peculiar. It's been something like this......

King: what are you doing?
Queen: well, you see... there are like holidays for EVERYTHING... every day of the year celebrates something. I'm starting a blog and intent to participate in all these events. For instance, today is Bubble Bath Day, so I'm going to take a bubble bath.
King: no, you're not. You never take baths.
Queen: uh huh... yes, I am.... (I did not)
...................
King: when are you going to breakout the Popcorn Maker I got you for Christmas?
Queen: well..... you see..... January 19th is National Popcorn Day. I was planning on breaking it out then. Is that okay?
King: you are so weird.
...................
King: what is that?
Queen: (looking to where he is pointing) oh.... that is my pet rock. I've had him since I was like 12.
King: you've had him since you were 12? And where has he been all this time?
Queen: upstairs (totally NOT mentioning that I pulled him out in honor of Old Rock Day because somehow I don't think that would have made the situation better)

4 comments: