Friday, January 21, 2011

Jan21: National Hugging Day OR Squirrel Appreciation Day

I have to admit... I fully planned to celebrate Hugging Day and ignore Squirrel Day. However, that is not really the way the day went. I got a hug or two, but the squirrel really made more of an impact.

Summary: Squirrel Appreciation Day is an opportunity to enjoy and appreciate your tree climbing, nut gathering neighborhood squirrels. It's held in mid-winter when food sources are scarce for squirrels and other wildlife. Sure, squirrels spent all fall gathering and "squirreling " away food. But, their supplies may not be enough. And, the variety of food is limited. So, give them an extra special treat today to supplement their winter diets.

Not everyone likes squirrels. While they are fun to watch skirting around the yard and trees, they are aggressive at bird feeders. Squirrels tip almost any bird feeder and spill the seeds in search of the particular seeds they want. In the fall, they attack pumpkins on front porches in search of the seeds inside. For gardeners they dig up and steal flower bulbs, and may eat some of the veggies in your garden.

When you think about it, mid winter is the best time to appreciate squirrels. In the winter they provide a little entertainment. During other times of the year, you may look at them as a pest in the flower and vegetable gardens.

Synopsis: Part of the reason I assumed I would not partake in Squirrel Appreciation Day was because I have not been in the office this week, which is where I generally see squirrels. However, when I pulled up to Grandmom's today, a big, fat squirrel went frolicking off right in front of me. It was a great way to kick off the day. The li'l guy seemed so happy, and no doubt was enjoying His Day.

1 comment:

  1. I love squirrels. But I love hugging more than anything else there is. And I am darn good at it, even if I do say so my own self!

    I take it you do not want to combine them and celebrate Hugging a Squirrel day?

    ReplyDelete