Friday, March 4, 2011

Mar4: Holy Experiment Day

Summary: Holy Experiment Day is a day to try something religious. It is a chance to try something, or ask for something, and to measure the results.

There are a lot of things that can be viewed as religious or holy experiments. Some examples could be:
  • Pray for someone to get better
  • Pray for snow
  • Pray for your team to win the superbowl
  • Pray someone will ask you on a date
  • Try saying grace at dinner and see if others join you
  • Try to get a person to attend religious services
  • Plan to convert someone to your religion
In our examples above, God may grant all, some, or none of the desired results. He may be too busy with the problems of the world to make it snow. He definitely doesn't have a favorite sports team. The Lord truely works in mysterious ways. Sometimes, he has his own plans for an outcome that we may not understand.

We don't want to discourage holy experiments. Quite the opposite, we think they are good. We just believe you shouldn't judge the results. Your religious beliefs will be strengthen and you will be closer to God. So, participate in Holy Experiment Day to its fullest.

Synopsis: As many of y'all know, ABBA had a dream as a child of becoming Pope. Sadly, she came to realize that this was an impossible dream.

A few months ago, my SIL's kiddos came up to Dallas to visit their favorite family members. My nephew brought a surprise with him - he (and his crazy dad, Mr. Big Ed) had gotten my MIL's boyfriend ordained as a high priest. As he was telling the story, he mentioned that you could choose your title - you could even be Pope! I immediately latched onto this and have been planning to get ABBA ordained as Pope (finally!). I decided that Holy Experiment Day would be the perfect day to do this.

There are 2 unfortunates to the story (1) it takes several days to get approved, which I had not budgeted into my plan. (2) now that the process has been kicked off, I have found that Pope is NOT actually one of the options :(

So... ABBA.... please choose your title from this list. (I highlighted some of my favorite options)

PS: I really don't understand why you can be Avatar but not Pope....

4 comments:

  1. First, I actually used the term "lay-person" in an email today....
    Second, Flying Missionary just sounds raunchy to me....I know mind-in-gutter...
    Third, while I like "life facilitator" I think it might have some weird outcomes...
    I think I'll go with "The Very Esteemed" (it makes me sound all fancy!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, hopefully it isn't too late to change, but I think I like "Existcreatologist". Since I can't find any religion out there that I could offend and the only thing I could find was a blog on Creatology focusing on wanting to explore creativity, which we know I'm all about....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been experimenting all year by going to church almost every week

    ReplyDelete