Sunday, February 20, 2011

Feb20: Cherry Pie Day

Summary: It's Cherry Pie Day. Cherry pie is America's second most popular pie, behind only apple pie in popularity. However, in the month of February, it's Number 1. As a young boy, George Washington made the Cherry tree popular, with his famous quote "I can not tell a lie, I chopped down the Cherry tree." We celebrate George Washington's Birthday and President's Day in February. Appropriately, its traditional to bake cherry pies in honor of the occasion. Being the "hot pie" of the moth, it is only fitting that Cherry Pie Day falls in February. On Cherry Pie Day, celebrate today with a piece of pie.

Synopsis: I gotta be honest... I was terrible at celebrating these days in February. I am really disappointed in myself. However, when I went back and reviewed what activities I was doing each day and whether or not they corresponded with these "special" days, I was jazzed to discover that I really did a great job at celebrating Cherry Pie Day - and it was completely unexpected.

I am not a pie person. I just really have no use for the pie crust. I took some of my mom's pecan pie home after Christmas, and I pretty much just pulled out all the filling. In the end, you probably could have made a new pie with the intact crust that was left ;) I do LOVE cherry pie filling, however.

We spent February 20th driving back from Arkansas and made a stop at Bryce's Cafeteria. The King was mulling over what dessert to select, and I pointed out the cherry pie as looking really good (and knowing that they had great pies). He (being the King) did not finish all of his pie, so I stole the remaining filling. mmmmmmmmm

2 comments:

  1. Of all the pies in the world, Chocolate is my favorite and Cherry is next...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherry another makes me gag, I suppose it is because medicine was cherry cavorts growing up

    ReplyDelete